Sunday, January 16, 2011

First Post - The Why

I have lived alone for quite some time. I love it.  I like the freedom to do whatever, whenever - without having to be concerned about another person's wants or needs. Rather selfish, I know.  I also like  the absence of the stresses that naturally arise when one shares living space with another.

One thing I do miss, though, is the pleasure that one derives from shared experiences -- seeing a terrific movie, enjoying a great meal, watching a fantastic sunset, taking a walk on the beach, etc.  A solitary experience exists only in your mind, and thus, may as well never have happened at all as far as the rest of the Universe is concerned.

When I enjoy something I get the urge to share it with others.  But I don't often have others around.  Thus, the purpose of this Blog. I intend to use it as a vehicle to invite others to enjoy it too.  Whether anyone else actually does read my Blog and act on my offer is immaterial, although it would be grand if there were many.  Making the offer is what is important to me.

Here is my first invite:

Rowan Atkinson, known mainly for his Mr. Bean and Blackadder characters, is also great at stand-ups and comedy skits.  He is one of my favorite comedians. Here, from YouTube, is a video in which he portrays a school master at a British Boys School taking attendance and addressing his class.  Each time I watch it I end up with very sore abdominal muscles - I laugh so hard it hurts.



2 comments:

  1. It's a marvellous characiture!

    The public school which I attended (which in the UK means a private one, of course) had a large number of Masters who had returned from the 2nd World War and my goodness there were some odd balls among them!

    ReplyDelete