Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thus Sprach Zarathustra

This silly YouTube video of supposed terrible high school musicians playing the opening theme from the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey reminded me of my own high school's band.

No, they were not nearly so bad as this group, but that is not saying much. Having to sit in our seats at school assemblies while the band "entertained" us was quite an ordeal. I believe most of us would have preferred to take a test or write an essay.




Thinking of my school's band for the first time in over a half century, I checked them out in the yearbook from my senior year. I was surprised to discover that it was 100% male. They may not have been quality musicians but they did wear nice gold jackets and have shiny instruments!! 

2 comments:

  1. OMG!

    You might also 'love' Florence Foster Jenkins - especially if you've not heard her before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtf2Q4yyuJ0

    Cover your windows and tie down your cut glass before you play it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I viewed the referenced video on YouTube. The video I posted was surely worthy of an OMG, but Ms. Jenkins’ video is well worth multiple OMGs! Actually, my first reaction was WTF!

    I did not know of her so I thought that she was obviously a comedy act. But I checked her out in Wikipedia and was shocked to discover that she considered herself a legitimate artist. I had always felt that the world was not ready for my singing voice. I always avoided singing in church and even today refrain from joining in when the National Anthem is sung at a sporting event. I may now reconsider!

    ReplyDelete